Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Guru Reviews: Guilty Gear 2 Overture

First, I'll start this off by saying that I did get this game on my friend's Gamestop discount with a coupon so, no, it didn't cost me much. But it's worth what I paid.

Graphics: 7.5


I think people forget that just a few years ago, graphics on the PS2 and Xbox looked amazing. And with these new age next gen graphic,s one tends to judge games that just fall a bit better than last gen as bad. This games graphics are NO WHERE NEAR BAD! No they aren't as detailed or well done as some particularly high budget titles, but they are still very crisp and nice. The only flaw is the camera and its stubbornness, but other than that the game feels very good to me. The only flaw in the graphics is that they are soo floaty and fantasy that they remind me of .hack or a Mana game more than a GG game.

http://www.destructoid.com/elephant/ul/67721-468x-guilty-gear-overture-4.jpg

Sound 8.0


..........I speak Japanese...(not 100% fluent)...enough at least. So I appreciate the voice work and cinema...however others may not. The English is pretty terrible to say the least, so I can understand. And some of the main themes from the series don't really appear which is a bit annoying. It's not as rock 'n roll as it is fantasy fare, but it goes well.

Gameplay 8.0


I love the game play in this game!!!!!
The only way to explain it is if Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings had dirty sex with Chaos Legion, this would be their amazing child. One part action game, four parts RTS with summoning and points and maps to control as well as items and summon points. It works very well....as long as you start off setting it on wait mode and work through the annoying tutorial. But once you're through it this works VERY well and can be addictive, especially multiplayer. All I can say is I'm happy to see an action game where I jump off a ledge and I actually land on the area beneath (...yeah you heard me Dirge of Cerberus.).

Story 8.5


This is where Guilty Gear 2 shines. For anyone who ever wanted to see the Guilty Gear characters fleshed out or wanted to explore a bit of the legends of the world behind the fighting games, this is for you.


Overall it's not a bad game. It won't win any awards, but it's solid, especially for fans of its style of gameplay or people who want to think outside the box. And hell, it's better than Dynasty Warriors.

P.S.

The art is amazing as always! Daisuke Ishiwatari always does a great job.

http://www.blogeek.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/guilty-gear-2-overture-vol2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment