Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas gaming goodness






Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy Newyears to all! I hope everyone had as good of a Holiday season as I have (minus throwing up from bad pizza on Christmas morning). I'm sure many of you got gifts for the Holidays like I did and lets hope that all of them were something special. But enough talking about you guys now lets talk about me and what I got.







First I got a DS XL mario bundle with Mario Kart DS. All I have to say is once you go big you'll never go back. Surpisingly the Mariokart DS is a rather solid game with plenty of retro tracks for us Snes and N64 players. The DS XL has cool art work of Mario's power ups on the front of the case.



Add Image
Second I received two games (more as graduations presents.) These games were Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals and Magna Carta 2. The Lufia game is a remake of the Snes/Super Famicom RPG Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals. These games are known as Estpolis Denki エストポリス伝記 in Japan. This remake is much different from the original as it is now a puzzle based action RPG much like Zelda or Ys instead of a traditional RPG with turn based battles and limited animations like the original. I'm only a few hours in at this point but so far the graphics are amazing, even if the English voice dub leaves a bit to be desired.




Magna Carta 2
is a sequel to the Playstation 2 game Magna Carta Tears of Blood. Anyone who has mentioned the game in my presence before knows that I have a really blood curdling hatred for that game due to its amazing graphics, good story and the worst gameplay of any RPG. However I will save that for another day. Magna Carta 2 , so far, has great graphics, a pretty decent story save for some cliche's and an addictive battle system that is a mixture of Final Fantasy XII and Infinite Undiscovery. So far I rather enjoy the game though the fact that all quests are done in an MMO fashion puzzles me, but it is a Korean developed game.

Lastly I received Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light
for the Nintendo DS. So far ,though only a few hours in, I love this game. It has the classic story and atmosphere of all those games from 1-5 but with enjoyment of a Jobclass system that feels like a mix between Final Fantasy III and X-2. Moreover the battles are rather well done. They may be a bit too old school for some people's tastes as heroes can only hold fifteen items and have six abilities at once including spells. This aside the personalization of characters and their progress through their levels has never been this under the players sole control as much as it is in this game. However, ignoring all of that, the graphics are the best part of the whole package. The simplistic cell-shaded art-style of these world is simplistic but some how more detailed than the top graphics accelerated PC and PS3 titles. Small things like the wind blowing through the grass or roses growing throughout an evil witch's castle makes this game's world extremely charming. I know this ended up being a small review but I can't help but to give this game my highest recommendation. Every RPG and Retro gaming fan should check it out for a fresh start to the Final Fantasy series.




No comments:

Post a Comment